The former Prince Andrew was seen for the first time following his arrest on Feb. 19, being released after 11 hours in police custody
NEED TO KNOW
The former Duke of York was taken into custody for allegations of misconduct in public office
After reports that Andrew's homes were being searched, police said their searches in Norfolk had concluded but were still underway in Berkshire
The formerPrince Andrewwas seen for the first time sincehis arrest.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor left the Aylsham Police Station in Norfolk after spending approximately 11 hours in custodyon Thursday, Feb. 19, his 66th birthday. He was photographed in the backseat of a vehicle.
The Thames Valley Police issued anupdated statementconfirming the release of a "man in his sixties from Norfolk," although Andrew was not named. "The arrested man has now been released under investigation," they said.
REUTERS/Phil Noble
Police added that their searches in Norfolk had concluded but searches in Berkshire, where Andrew's former home of Royal Lodge is located, were still underway. TheBBCreported earlier in the day that Andrew's homes were being searched.
Around 8 a.m. local time, police officers arrived at Wood Farm in Norfolk, located inKing Charles' Sandringham estate, where Andrew recently moved after being forced to surrender the lease on Royal Lodge. Andrew was arrested for "suspicion of misconduct in public office."
The arrest comes after a series of scandals that have plagued Andrew due to his association with Jeffrey Epstein, a convicted sex offender who died in prison in 2019. Andrew has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing in his ties to Epstein.
REUTERS/Phil Noble
Earlier this month, the BBC reported that the Thames Valley Police was investigating a complaint alleging that Andrew shared confidential information related to his role as a trade envoy in an email correspondence with Epstein. The complaint was lodged by the anti-monarchy group Republic after numerous files were released by the U.S. Department of Justice on Jan. 30 as part of the ongoing Epstein investigation.
"Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office," said Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright following the Feb. 19 arrest, though Andrew was not named in thestatement. "It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offense."
Peter Nicholls/Getty
Andrew stepped back from his public royal role in 2019 after a disastrous interview with the BBC about his ties to Epstein.
In January 2022, Andrew's mother, Queen Elizabeth, revoked hismilitary titles and patronagesafter a judge rejected his attempt to have Epstein victim Virginia Giuffre'ssexual assault lawsuitagainst him dismissed. The former royal, who has denied Giuffre's allegations,reached a settlementwith her in 2022. She died by suicide in April 2025.
Advertisement
In October 2025, King Charles announced that he wasstripping his brother's royal titles and honors. It was also announced that Andrew would leave Royal Lodge, his longtime residence in Windsor.
Peter Nicholls/Getty
Following the release of the Epstein files — which feature the names of Andrew and his ex-wife,Sarah Ferguson, several times — the King issued a statement confirming that his office would cooperate with authorities if asked.
Hours after Andrew's arrest, the King issued another statement.
"I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office. What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities," the King said on Feb. 19.
"In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must take its course," the King continued. "As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter."
He concluded, "Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all."
King Charles and Queen Camillacarried on with royal engagementson Feb. 19 despite Andrew's arrest. The Queen, 78, attended a concert and met with musicians in London, while the King, 77,held audiencesandattended London Fashion Week.
Can't get enough of PEOPLE's Royals coverage?Sign up for our free Royals newsletterto get the latest updates on Kate Middleton, Meghan Markle and more!
Peter Nicholls/Getty
Experts say Andrew couldface a maximum sentence of life in prisonif he is convicted of misconduct in public office.
Dr. Tom Frost, Senior Lecturer in Law at Loughborough University, tells PEOPLE that it could take weeks or months for Andrew to be charged — if he's charged at all. Any charge will come from the Crown Prosecution Service after they determine if there is enough evidence to charge the former royal and "whether a prosecution is in the public interest."
Read the original article onPeople