GREEN MAG

ShowBiz & Sports Celebs Lifestyle

Hot

19.2.26

Charlotte's LaMelo Ball not injured after 2-car crash in downtown Charlotte, AP source says

4:22:00 AM
Charlotte's LaMelo Ball not injured after 2-car crash in downtown Charlotte, AP source says

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Charlotte Hornets point guard LaMelo Ball was not injured after being involved in a two-car crash in downtown Charlotte on Wednesday, according to a person familiar with the situation.

Associated Press

The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the details of the accident.

A police report was not immediately made available.

Ball appeared to be driving through an intersection when his camoflauge-colored, custom-made Hummer collided with another vehicle shortly before 5 p.m., accordingvideo obtained by WSOC-TVin Charlotte. The station later posted video of Ball, wearing anaqua-colored Hornets hoodie, getting out his truck and into another car before being driven away. Police were on the scene at the time.

There was no information available on the person in the other car involved in the collision, although video showed that driver calmly get out of his car and begin walking toward Ball's truck. Video showed the left front tire of Ball's truck was missing.

The Hornets held practice earlier in the day.

Advertisement

Charlotte, which has won 10 of its last 11 games, is scheduled to host the Houston Rockets on Thursday night as teams return from the All-Star break.

Ball is just the latest to professional sports athlete to be involved in a car accident in Charlotte.

Former Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newtonfractured his backfollowing a 2014 crash in which he flipped his black pickup truck near Bank of America Stadium — less than a mile from where Ball's accident occurred.

And in 2024, Panthers current backup quarterback Andy Daltoninjured his thumbwhen he was involved in a two-car accident in Charlotte.

AP NBA:https://apnews.com/hub/NBA

Read More

Cavaliers finally get a full practice with James Harden coming out of All-Star break

4:22:00 AM
Cavaliers finally get a full practice with James Harden coming out of All-Star break

INDEPENDENCE, Ohio (AP) — Kenny Atkinson was able to do something on Wednesday for the first time since theCleveland Cavalierstraded forJames Hardenon Feb. 4.

Associated Press Cleveland Cavaliers guard James Harden reacts after being called for a foul in the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Denver Nuggets Monday, Feb. 9, 2026, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski) Cleveland Cavaliers guard James Harden, right, drives to the rim past Denver Nuggets guard Tim Hardaway Jr. in the second half of an NBA basketball game, Monday, Feb. 9, 2026, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski) Cleveland Cavaliers guard Donovan Mitchell looks on in the second half of an NBA basketball game against the Denver Nuggets, Monday, Feb. 9, 2026, in Denver. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski)

Cavaliers Nuggets Basketball

The Cavaliers held their first practice in a couple of weeks after returning from the All-Star break and began gearing up for the second half of the season.

"We only have one practice. I think your first reaction is, 'Man, we've got to do all these things,' but just try to keep dialing back and keep it as simple as possible and then kind of add as we go," the Cavaliers coach said. "It's like, how can we reduce it to the things that matter? I think we accomplished that."

Harden had only film sessions and walk-throughs during his first three games with Cleveland, but the 17-year veteran proved to be a quick study. He is averaging 19.3 points, 5.3 rebounds and 8.7 assists along with two double-doubles with the Cavaliers.

Jaylon Tyson said he didn't realize how much of a defensive presence Harden could be until he was his teammate.

"The offensive part, nothing's really surprised me, but defensively, he's actually pretty good. He got a couple blocks. He's definitely not what you call a cone," Tyson said.

All-star guardDonovan Mitchellhas three straight games with at least 30 points, but knows there is still an adjustment period going on with Harden.

"We haven't even gotten to playing a two-man game together and what that looks like. So I think as we build, you'll start seeing that as well. But I think the biggest thing now is we found something that works," Mitchell said.

Advertisement

Most of Wednesday's prepractice film session and practice was devoted to defense. The Cavaliers are tied for the third-worst 3-point defense in the league, allowing 37.2% from beyond the arc, and are in the middle of the league in most categories.

Atkinson said they went back to some of the stuff installed during training camp to get newcomers Harden, Dennis Schroeder, and Keon Ellis up to speed, and to provide a refresher course for the veterans.

Atkinson added that it is likely Evan Mobley and Dean Wade could return to the lineup on Thursday. Mobley, the reigning NBA Defensive Player of the Year, has missed the last seven games due toa left calf strain, while Wade was sidelined for three games due to a sprained left ankle.

The Cavaliers have won all three games with Harden in the lineup. Cleveland is also on a five-game winning streak going into Thursday night's game against Brooklyn. It is 17-5 since Dec. 29 and has a league-best .772 winning percentage during that span.

Cleveland (34-21) is fourth in the Eastern Conference, but is only 1 1/2 games behind Boston for second. The game against the Nets begins a stretch of five in seven days, including a trip toOklahoma Cityon Sunday and a home game against the New York Knicks on Tuesday.

"We all have to make sure we're locked in and ready to go," said Mitchell, who is fifth in the league in scoring at 29.0 points per game. "This is no easy stretch. You can look up and be in bad shape right off the bat."

AP NBA:https://apnews.com/hub/nba

Read More

No. 5 UConn stumbles at home in loss to Creighton as hopes for No. 1 seed in NCAA tournament dwindle

4:22:00 AM
No. 5 UConn stumbles at home in loss to Creighton as hopes for No. 1 seed in NCAA tournament dwindle

Dan Hurley and the Huskies suffered a rare, bad loss at Gampel Pavilion on Wednesday night.

Yahoo Sports Feb 3, 2026; Hartford, Connecticut, USA; UConn Huskies head coach Dan Hurley watches from the sideline as they take on the Xavier Musketeers at PeoplesBank Arena. Mandatory Credit: David Butler II-Imagn Images

No. 5 UConn fell apart down the stretch and allowed Creighton, which has struggled all season in a down year in Omaha, to pick up a very solid 91-84 upset win. That was by far the biggest victory of the season for the Bluejays, who sit at just 14-13 and need some help in order to even make the NCAA tournament.

The loss for UConn was just the team's third all season, but it both put their hopes at claiming a No. 1 seed in the NCAA tournament in serious risk and opened the door for Rick Pitino and St. John's to take the Big East title. The Red Storm survived a scare of their own later on Wednesday night and beat Marquette 76-70 in Milwaukee to take the lead in the conference standings.

Creighton had no issue keeping up with UConn all night. The Bluejays entered the locker room tied with the Huskies, and then mounted a huge 14-5 run in the second half while shutting down UConn's offense almost completely. They forced a stretch in which the Huskies missed 10 of 11 shots, too, and briefly pushed their lead to 12 points before cruising to the seven-point win.

Blake Harper likely sealed the deal after he drilled a huge corner 3-pointer just seconds after a Silas Demary layup on the other end. Harper's bucket pushed Creighton's lead to 10 points with just 90 seconds left.

Advertisement

Josh Dix led Creighton with 21 points and eight rebounds, and Nik Graves added 18 points. Harper finished with 12 points off the bench.

The win seemingly came out of nowhere for the Bluejays. They entered Wednesday night's game having lost six of their last eight. The only wins during that stretch came by a combined two points. They were just 1-8 against Quad I teams up until this point, too.

An NCAA tournament bid is likely out of the question for Creighton, however, unless it manages to knock off No. 17 St. John's on Saturday in New York and goes on a run in the Big East tournament. Wednesday's win, however, was a big step to getting that done.

Braylon Mullins led UConn with 25 points and six rebounds, and Demary added 17 points and nine assists. Star Alex Karaban was held to just two points after he shot 1-of-6 from the field, marking his worst output of the season.

UConn, after starting the season winning 22 of its first 23 games, has now lost twice in its last four after falling at St. John's last week. And if they aren't perfect, or close to it, the rest of the way, securing a top seed in the NCAA tournament could be out of reach.

The rematch between the two teams leading the Big East next week is suddenly that much more important heading into the conference tournament.

Read More

A judge weighs extending protections for refugees in Minnesota facing arrest and deportation

3:42:00 AM
A judge weighs extending protections for refugees in Minnesota facing arrest and deportation

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A federal judge will hear arguments Thursday on whether he should extend an order that protects Minnesota refugees who are lawfully in the U.S. from being arrested and deported.

Associated Press Hundreds of people attend a rally in the rotunda of the Minnesota State Capitol in St. Paul, Minn., Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, to urge leaders to support economic recovery in the wake of the Trump administration's immigration crackdown in the state. (AP Photo/Steve Karnowski) Hundreds of people attend a rally in the rotunda of the Minnesota State Capitol in St. Paul, Minn., Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2026, to urge leaders to support economic recovery in the wake of the Trump administration's immigration crackdown in the state. (AP Photo/Steve Karnowski)

Immigration Enforcement Minnesota

U.S. District Judge John Tunheim blocked the government from targeting these refugees last month, saying the plaintiffs in the case were likely to prevail on their claims "that their arrest and detention, and the policy that purports to justify them, are unlawful."His Jan. 28 temporary restraining orderwill expire Feb. 25 unless he grants a more permanent preliminary injunction.

Refugee rights groups sued the federal government in January after the Department of Homeland Security and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services in mid-December launched Operation PARRIS, an acronym for Post-Admission Refugee Reverification and Integrity Strengthening.

It was billed as a "sweeping initiative" to reexamine the cases of 5,600 Minnesota refugees who had not yet been granted permanent resident status, also known as green cards. The agenciescited fraud in public programsin Minnesota as justification.

Operation PARRIS was part of the Trump administration's broader immigration crackdown that targeted Minnesota, including the surge of thousands of federal officers into the state. Homeland Security said it was itslargest immigration enforcement operation ever. It also sparked mass protests after the shooting deaths ofRenee GoodandAlex Pretti.White House border czar Tom Homanannounced last weekthe surge was ending, though asmall federal presencewould remain.

The lawsuit alleges that ICE officers went door to door under Operation PARRIS arresting refugees and sending them to detention centers in Texas, without access to attorneys. Some were later released on the streets of Texas and left to find their own way back to Minnesota, they said.

Advertisement

The judge rejected the government's claim that it had the legal right to arrest and detain refugees who haven't obtained their green cards within a year of arriving in the U.S. He said that would be illogical and nonsensical, given that refugees can't apply for permanent residency until they've been in the U.S. for a year.

Tunheim noted in his order, which applies only in Minnesota, that refugees are extensively vetted by multiple agencies before being resettled in the U.S. He wrote that none arrested in the operation had been deemed a danger to the community or a flight risk, nor had any been charged with crimes that could be grounds for deportation.

The judge cited several cases involving plaintiffs named in the lawsuit, including one man identified only as U.H.A., a refugee with no criminal history. He was admitted into the U.S. in 2024 and was arrested by ICE while driving to work on Jan. 18 this year. "He was pulled over, ordered out of his car, handcuffed, and detained, without a warrant or apparent justification," the judge wrote.

Tunheim stressed that the refugees impacted by his order were admitted into the U.S. because of persecution in their home countries. He prohibited further arrests under Operation PARRIS and ordered that all detainees still in custody from it be released and returned to Minnesota.

"They are not committing crimes on our streets, nor did they illegally cross the border. Refugees have a legal right to be in the United States, a right to work, a right to live peacefully — and importantly, a right not to be subjected to the terror of being arrested and detained without warrants or cause in their homes or on their way to religious services or to buy groceries," he wrote.

"At its best, America serves as a haven of individual liberties in a world too often full of tyranny and cruelty. We abandon that ideal when we subject our neighbors to fear and chaos," he continued.

In afollow-up orderFeb. 9, Tunheim rejected a government motion to lift the temporary restraining order.

Read More

Australian police probe threatening letter to country's largest mosque ahead of Ramadan

3:42:00 AM
Australian police probe threatening letter to country's largest mosque ahead of Ramadan

SYDNEY, Feb 19 (Reuters) - Australian police said on Thursday they had launched an investigation after a threatening letter was sent to the country's largest mosque, the third such incident ‌in the lead-up to the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan.

Reuters

The letter sent to Lakemba ‌Mosque in Sydney's west on Wednesday contained a drawing of a pig and a threat to kill the "Muslim race", local media ​reported.

Police said they had taken the letter for forensic testing, and would continue to patrol religious sites including the mosque, as well as community events.

The latest letter comes weeks after a similar message was mailed to the mosque, depicting Muslim people inside a mosque on fire.

Police have also arrested and charged a 70-year-old ‌man in connection with a third ⁠threatening letter sent to Lakemba Mosque's staff in January.

The Lebanese Muslim Association, which runs the mosque, told the Australian Broadcasting Corp (ABC) it had written to the ⁠government to request more funding for additional security guards and CCTV cameras.

Some 5,000 people are expected to attend the mosque each night during Ramadan. More than 60% of residents in the suburb of Lakemba identify as ​Muslim, according ​to the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Bilal El-Hayek, mayor ​of Canterbury-Bankstown council, where Lakemba is located, ‌said the community was feeling "very anxious".

Advertisement

"I've heard first-hand from people saying that they won't be sending their kids to practice this Ramadan because they're very concerned about things that might happen in local mosques," he said.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese condemned the recent string of threats.

"It is outrageous that people just going about commemorating their faith, particularly during the holy month for Muslims of Ramadan, are subject to this ‌sort of intimidation," he told ABC radio.

"I have said repeatedly ​we need to turn down the temperature of political discourse ​in this country, and we certainly need ​to do that."

Anti-Muslim sentiment has been growing in Australia since the war in ‌Gaza War in late 2023, according to ​a recent report commissioned by ​the government.

The Islamophobia Register Australia has also documented a 740% rise in reports following the Bondi mass shooting on December 14, where authorities allege two gunmen inspired by Islamic State ​killed 15 people attending a Jewish ‌holiday celebration.

"There's been a massive increase post-Bondi," Mayor El-Hayek said. "Without a doubt, this is ​the worst I have ever seen it. There's a lot of tension out there."

(Reporting ​by Christine Chen in Sydney; Editing by Lincoln Feast.)

Read More