‘Shocked’ Novak Djokovic reacts to losing at the Australian Open for the first time in six years | OQAS44A | 2024-01-30 16:08:01

New Photo - 'Shocked' Novak Djokovic reacts to losing at the Australian Open for the first time in six years | OQAS44A | 2024-01-30 16:08:01
'Shocked' Novak Djokovic reacts to losing at the Australian Open for the first time in six years | OQAS44A | 2024-01-30 16:08:01

The Serbian's flawless document in semi-finals in Melbourne lastly got here to an end (Image: Getty)

Novak Djokovic says he was 'shocked' by how badly he performed in Friday's semi-final defeat to Jannik Sinner on the Australian Open and believes it is one in every of his worst-ever Grand Slam shows.

The Serbian has been the dominant pressure in Melbourne for over a decade and was wanting to add his 11th title at this yr's event – and a 25th major to put him away from Maragret Courtroom.

But he was crushed 6-1 6-2 6-7 (6-8) 6-Three in a bruising encounter, with the much younger Sinner dominating the contest.

Incredibly, it's the first time Djokovic has ever misplaced a semi-final at the Australian Open, having gained the previous 10, and it's his first defeat in Melbourne since a shock loss to Chung Hyeon in 2018.

The 36-year-old was filled with reward for Sinner's display afterwards, though felt he was far from his greatest in Friday's match and admits he has struggled for type all through this yr's event.

Talking at his post-match press conference, Djokovic stated: 'First I need to congratulate Sinner for enjoying an amazing match and a fantastic event to date, he is deservedly in the ultimate. He outplayed me utterly as we speak.

'I was, in a method, shocked with my degree – in a nasty approach! There was not much I was doing proper within the first two units and I assume this is among the worst Grand Slam matches I have ever performed, at the very least that I keep in mind.

'So not a very nice feeling enjoying this manner, however at the similar time credit score to him for doing every little thing higher than me, in each facet of the game.

Djokovic was removed from his greatest in Friday's loss to Sinner (Image: Getty)
Djokovic was clearly annoyed together with his efficiency (Image: Reuters)

'I tried, I fought, I managed to sort of increase my degree somewhat bit within the third set, saved match point, performed a great tiebreak.

'But, once more, the fourth set. Very dangerous recreation to lose, 40-0 up on 1-2, sort of towards the wind just a little bit. Just general performance-wise the level of my tennis was really not nice.

'I assume in these moments you just try to discover the serenity however on the similar time attempt to uplift yourself and your recreation. That's what I attempted, and the gang was great, they have been really truthful in the direction of each gamers, plenty of help for each Jannik and I. And that's all, congratulations to him.'

The explosive feud between two of tennis' biggest stars

At 43 with a grey beard, he's the oldest world No1 ever. So how does Rohan Bopanna do it?

Jannik Sinner reveals the secret to beating Novak Djokovic after Australian Open victory

Read More Stories

Asked if he was stunned by how a lot he underperformed, Djokovic continued: 'To be trustworthy the entire event really I haven't performed near my greatest. Some matches, perhaps towards [Adrian] Mannarino, was great, but a lot of the matches I was not enjoying up to par – that's to say, the best way I play usually right here in Australia.

'So in a means it did shock me, because I didn't assume it will be that dangerous within the first two units, however then again, I didn't really feel myself on the courtroom during this event.

'One might say that semi-finals is a superb end result, but I all the time anticipate the very best of myself and it wasn't meant to be immediately.'

For more tales like this, check our sport page.

Comply with Metro Sport for the newest information on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

#shocked #novak #djokovic #reacts #losing #australian #open #first #six #years #us #uk #world #top #news #HotTopics #TopStories #Sport

More >> https://ift.tt/ph3XyPs Source: MAG NEWS

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.